The Pass the Torch program consists of nine various Saturday sessions. The program provides participants with the opportunity to learn about the fire service and emergency medical services response in a safe, controlled, and educational environment. Participants are able to engage in activities that include vehicle extrication, swift water rescue, emergency medical procedures, and fire extinguisher training. The program is designed to give individuals a glimpse into the cadet academy and a first-hand feel for life in the fire service.
Under the guidance of experienced AFD firefighters, you will be able to participate in a variety of activities including but not limited to:
Requirements for Eligibility
- Must be between the ages of 18 and 35;
- Must be able to pass a criminal background investigation; and
- Must be able to provide a current passing physical.
Not only will you get to take home a CD full of pictures and videos of your experience, as well as some brag-worthy certificates and trophies, but you will also take with you:
- Amazing memories of this once-in-a-lifetime experience;
- A more realistic understanding of firefighting;
- A network of firefighters to help answer your questions;
- A network of peers that you can study with during our next hiring process;
- A sense of whether firefighting is a right career choice for you;
- Experience handling a charged fire hose;
- Participation in physical training similar to what is used during an AFD cadet academy;
- Practice with vehicle extrication tools;
- Use high-tech fire and medical equipment;
- Climb ladders, and perform search and rescue techniques;
- Wear the gear and participate in simulated fire scenes; and
- Learn about fire science from trained instructors.
What sort of commitment will you be making?
There will be approximately two Saturday sessions per month. Participants are expected to be in attendance from 7:00am to 5:00pm.
Guidelines for participation
- Must go on two station ride outs
- Commit to at least eight of nine sessions;
- Complete homework assignments
- Complete 6 community service activities; and
- Willing to participate in physical activity.
Pass the Torch applicants can expect a certain amount of physical activity during the academy. Applicants for the Pass the Torch Program should not be discouraged from applying if they feel they are not in the best physical condition. No applicant will be excluded from this program based on their perceived fitness level.
If selected, you will be required to attend 8 out of 9 sessions in order to graduate.
Please note: These dates are subject to change.
- Application Open - December 17, 2018
- Application Deadline - February 1, 2019
- Interviews – February 23, 2019
- Session 1 - March 9, 2019
- Session 2 - March 30, 2019
- Session 3 - April 13, 2019
- Session 4 - April 27, 2019
- Session 5 - May 18, 2019
For more information
Contact Melanie Liner at 512-974-9084 or firstname.lastname@example.org